1) Detroit: failed city/urban planning petri dish. via James Nicoll
3) Superfreakonomics and horseshit. via Paul Krugman
4) Elegant wedding reception breaks down into moving brawl. ‘The fighting ruined the reception and some of the guests and wedding party members headed to their hotel nearby where the fighting erupted all over again in the parking lot of the Marriott Residence Inn which is located at 4312 Boy Scout Boulevard. A woman put the groom’s 74 year old grandmother, Mary Wright in a choke hold.
Wright told 10 Connects that she was trying to calm down the crowd and tell them not to fight on such a special occasion. She says that’s when her attacker said “I’m going to have to choke you out.”‘
5) 50,000 lost soldiers found, 2,500 years after they were lost.
6) Google auto-complete reveals class and education differences. “Someone once told me that there is nowhere we are more honest than the search box.” via Ezra Klein
7) TV cook accidentally does science. Here’s your big surprise for the day: eating decent food improves schooling. I know! Shock!
8) White privilege even extends to virtual environments. Fer Chrissakes.