7) A ‘beer sommelier’ explains how pouring a beer the wrong way can give you a stomach ache. Video
7) Vaccines Work: Here are the Facts. (a comic)
1) What happens when bookstore employees get bored. This is delightful.
5) An expanded list of Netflix genres, with links: “Dramas starring Virginia Madsen,” “Gritty Biographical Music and Concert Documentaries,” “Successful Korean Revenge Movies”
— Xtreme trash, (@hippieswordfish) August 23, 2017
3. A domino run in kaleidoscope: Beautiful. Video.
— INSIDER (@thisisinsider) September 6, 2017
1) Innovative ancient weapons. It’s weird to discover at this late age that the “hand on a stick” from HAWK THE SLAYER was a real thing.
6) Improve your bowling game by noting the hidden oil patterns on the lanes. Video.
1. Cracked makes an honest ad about the ways casual games are like crack for our brains. Video.
2. Chatbots built by Facebook engineers to negotiate with each other begin to develop their own non-human language. Time to re-watch Person of Interest.
4. M.C. Esher: Adventures in Perception: a 20 minute Dutch documentary about the way he created his work. Video.
7. The same song played on a $100 bass, a $700 bass, and a $10,000 bass. Which sounds best? Video.
1) A captured ISIS car bomb that looks like something out of Mad Max. Video.
4) To be filed under: dudes doing stupid shit with GoPro cameras: Kayaking down a drainage ditch. Video.
1) Gameification gone mad: China has made obedience to the State a game.
3) New superhero idea: the paper airplane gun. Video. Shoots 120 planes/minute. Warning: terrible music.
4) Episode one of John Berger’s Ways of Seeing (1972). Video.
6) To follow up on the last entry: How to Book the Safest Room in a Hotel.
Every year, I watch this version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL and post it:
If the embedding doesn’t work, here’s a link.
It’s under half an hour, and while it feels a little rushed, it’s also full of fantastic choices: dark colors, spooky ghosts, and both Ignorance and Want.
It’s fantastic. If you haven’t watched it before, check it out.