1. The Low-Frills Genre Fiction of 1981. What amazing covers
5) My son followed this recipe for making NY style pizza at home, and whaddayano? Video
13 hours left to back this:
- Why Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse has the most inventive visuals you’ll see this year.
- Europe’s first underwater restaurant.
- How to actually, truly focus on what you’re doing.
- The Kentucky Derby as Told by the Horses.
- Grocer Designed Embarrassing Plastic Bags to Shame Customers into Bringing Their Own.
- The Queens of Sicily: 1061 to 1266. 18 biographies about 18 powerful women.
- Stun Gun Myths Rewatching VERONICA MARS got me wondering how likely (initial hypothesis: not very) it was that you could render someone unconscious by zapping them. Of course, my hypothesis was [spoiler].
5) Forgery Experts Explain 5 Ways To Spot A Fake. Video.
7) How to take awesome food photos by Helen Rosner. (This is a terrific primer on visual composition)
2) A Songwriting Mystery Solved: Math Proves John Lennon Wrote ‘In My Life’. Mathematical analysis applied to musical authorship, which I find damned interesting.
3) Political Moderates Are Lying: How group social dynamics push moderate voters to extremes. (Not a perfect article, but interesting.
7) A ‘beer sommelier’ explains how pouring a beer the wrong way can give you a stomach ache. Video
4. What Makes People the Most Happy: An analysis of the way people answer the question “What made you happy in the last 24 hours?”
7) Vaccines Work: Here are the Facts. (a comic)
1) What happens when bookstore employees get bored. This is delightful.
2) “She wrote it but…” Revisiting Joanna Russ 35 Years Later.
6) What’s the longest train route in the world? Video.