- Why Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse has the most inventive visuals you’ll see this year.
- Europe’s first underwater restaurant.
- How to actually, truly focus on what you’re doing.
- The Kentucky Derby as Told by the Horses.
- Grocer Designed Embarrassing Plastic Bags to Shame Customers into Bringing Their Own.
- The Queens of Sicily: 1061 to 1266. 18 biographies about 18 powerful women.
- Stun Gun Myths Rewatching VERONICA MARS got me wondering how likely (initial hypothesis: not very) it was that you could render someone unconscious by zapping them. Of course, my hypothesis was [spoiler].
5) Forgery Experts Explain 5 Ways To Spot A Fake. Video.
7) How to take awesome food photos by Helen Rosner. (This is a terrific primer on visual composition)
2) A Songwriting Mystery Solved: Math Proves John Lennon Wrote ‘In My Life’. Mathematical analysis applied to musical authorship, which I find damned interesting.
3) Political Moderates Are Lying: How group social dynamics push moderate voters to extremes. (Not a perfect article, but interesting.
7) A ‘beer sommelier’ explains how pouring a beer the wrong way can give you a stomach ache. Video
4. What Makes People the Most Happy: An analysis of the way people answer the question “What made you happy in the last 24 hours?”
7) Vaccines Work: Here are the Facts. (a comic)
1) What happens when bookstore employees get bored. This is delightful.
2) “She wrote it but…” Revisiting Joanna Russ 35 Years Later.
6) What’s the longest train route in the world? Video.
making horror movie sound effects is a true art in itself. pic.twitter.com/RU7c1zKl2t
— Physics Fun (@PhysicsVideo) January 22, 2018
1. Interesting etymology of holiday terms. Video.
4a. Holiday beers.
6. I judge adaptations of A Christmas Carol by the way they depict the ghosts, and this right here is the perennial winner:
7. Last (and you knew this was coming), if you need a last-minute gift, ebooks like my new Twenty Palaces novella, The Twisted Path, are cheap and easy to deliver.