1) Why you don’t want to wear metal inside an MRI. Video.
1) Icons Unmasked. I liked the Goku one.
2) Theater from the back of a car during a traffic jam. Video.
4) “If you were with me, you’d suffer.” Australia falls in love with Chinese dating show.
1) Wheel of Misfortune. Love this comic. Love. It.
2) Every JRPG ever: Video. Reader, I laughed at them.
5) 15 Delicious Regional Sandwiches. A chow mein sandwich? I don’t think so.
6) Texts from HP Lovecraft. This made me laugh.
7) Ten tabletop games that you can play as couples. Video.
7) I read NPR’s 100 best sff novels and they were shockingly offensive. Nothing to argue with here.
4) Like selfies? Like toast? Now you can get your own selfie toast.
1) Why do people go bald? Video
3) Fearless girl rips out own tooth with a slingbow. ::faints::
5) Assigned to write an essay about a “leader” a group of teens decide to stand out from the pack and contact gangster Whitey Bulger in prison. He wrote back.
7) The Detective As Speech. “An early letter I received after publishing my first book, Indemnity Only, came from a woman who wanted to know why V. I. Warshawski was allowed to “talk back” to men without being punished. The writer wasn’t seeking help in learning to talk back herself; she was criticizing V. I. for behaving in a way that was neither right nor natural.” h/t James Nicoll
6) Remove cat before takeoff. Video.
7) Six SF/F authors who hated their legacy. Quick note to the universe: I don’t know if I would grow to hate a book of mine that became wildly successful, but I’m willing to risk it.
3) KITE FIGHT, a five minute documentary about the sport of soltar pipas, popular in the favelas in Rio. Video.
4) Segmented Glass Sculptures, via Marc Laidlaw
5) Boy Wonders. ::sniffle::
6) A plea for culinary modernism. Being honest about the way people *used* to eat.
7) Taylor Swifties.
4) Showing what’s real and what’s cgi in Mad Max: Fury Road. People have been praising the practical effects in this movie, which some internet bozos thought was a claim that there was no cgi at all. Which is ridiculous. Check out the before and after shots. Pretty interesting.
6) Joint pain, from the gut. Dealing with auto-immune issues through the microbiome. It’s more complex than taking a probiotic.
And I thought Fury Road was going to be the best action movie of the year.