5) Picture Yourself as a Stereotypical Man. “Stereotype threat” and academic achievement, or how to erase any statistical difference between whites and blacks / men and women.
1) Wheel of Misfortune. Love this comic. Love. It.
2) Every JRPG ever: Video. Reader, I laughed at them.
5) 15 Delicious Regional Sandwiches. A chow mein sandwich? I don’t think so.
6) Texts from HP Lovecraft. This made me laugh.
7) Ten tabletop games that you can play as couples. Video.
1. How many of the “world’s strangest delicacies” would you eat? I consider myself an adventurous eater, but: five-ish, depending on the moment.
7) A skateboard sidecar for toddlers: Video.
4) Like selfies? Like toast? Now you can get your own selfie toast.
1) One-bedroom home for sale in Minneapolis: $150K. Every picture is weirder than the one before it.
2) Eight of the best D&D modules of all time. Warning: gallery.
6) Like movies and reading screenplays? Simon Barrett’s shooting scripts for the films THE GUEST and YOU’RE NEXT are online.
7) The worst fucking shoes on the planet: Cowboy sandal boots.
3) KITE FIGHT, a five minute documentary about the sport of soltar pipas, popular in the favelas in Rio. Video.
4) Segmented Glass Sculptures, via Marc Laidlaw
5) Boy Wonders. ::sniffle::
6) A plea for culinary modernism. Being honest about the way people *used* to eat.
7) Taylor Swifties.
3) Richard Prince Selling Other People’s Instagram Shots Without Permission for $100K Whenever I feel cynical about publishing, I think about fine arts and give my oil-painter wife a hug. (Of course, if he was skimming other people’s work from reddit, I wouldn’t be surprised…)
4) Feces rained down on outdoor Sweet 16 party. Dumped from a plane, obviously. Stranger than fiction
5) Nothing about this toy makes sense. Video. Don’t watch that without the sound.
6) Law & Order: Daredevil. Video. Also requires sound.
Yesterday, I talked about food and anxiety. Today I’ll talk about food and my face.
Ugh. Seriously, I hate this, but many years ago I started getting red patches on my face. My skin would get rough and slightly puffy, and no amount of washing or moisturizing would make it better. The best I could hope for was to scrub my face so hard it all turned red. My wife had it, too. The best our doctors could manage was “You should wash your face,” which… yeah.
Eventually, things would get so bad that those red patches would start to peel. Yeah, I had face dandruff. Sorry, ladies, I’m taken.
This space is where I talk about my weird bullshit, but for whatever reason, I’ve avoided talking about health issues here. Today I’ll talk about the most negligible of them: my fucked-up anxieties and the foods that made them worse.
2) Stan Lee responds to people who ask him when he’s going to retire. Video.
4) Seventeen-year-old wins science competition by building an efficient algae biofuel lab in her bedroom. I hope this kid becomes a billionaire.
5) Do you get your hair cut at a barber? How to talk your barber about the haircut you want. Includes a helpful video.
7) The novel then steps back in time to explain how Rico went from being just another one of Heinlein’s incurious teenaged dullards to an enthusiastic war criminal. In the process, it paints an interesting picture of the world Rico lives in, as well as of the contents of Heinlein’s id. James Nicoll reviews Starship Troopers.